HOW IT WORKS
Transform your device into a
Our proprietary VoiceTrack™ voice recognition technology listens to your actual words and then scrolls as you speak -- all without an internet connection. There's no "Siri"-like waiting for responses as your device finds a data connection.
It is also dynamic enough to keep on following you throughout your entire speech. If you emphasize a point and speak slowly, then VoiceTrack™ will slow down. If you hurry up through a passage, VoiceTrack™ will follow you. If you take a question or ad-lib a section, VoiceTrack™ will wait for you.
Because your voice is directly controlling the scrolling, you have complete command of your speech. This fact alone improves upon even traditional teleprompters where it’s easy to let the teleprompter set your pace, not the other way around.
The result is a remarkably intuitive and easy way to give speeches.
MAKE VOICETRACK WORK BEST:
GUIDELINES FOR IMPROVING VOICE RECOGNITION
To optimize PromptSmart’s voice recognition capabilities, please follow these guidelines:
(Last updated: June 19, 2016)
VoiceTrack™ is a complex voice recognition system. It listens to your voice and matches the words you say to the text in your speech. As you can imagine, VoiceTrack™ needs to hear your voice to work properly. Here are the strategies we’ve found work best:
Text formatting guidelines: Eliminate blank and excess lines (unless you are using the "Blank lines" feature)
- Remove any blank lines, double spacing, and extra carriage returns. VoiceTrack scrolling does not automatically scroll through blank lines. By removing extra spaces throughout your speech, you’ll increase VoiceTrack’s performance significantly.
- When using lists in your speech (e.g. 1, 2, 3) format them as a paragraph rather than a bulleted list using multiple lines.
- Eliminate large line gaps for transitions between key sections. Instead, try inserting a symbol or a recognizable word at the beginning of the new section, but keep lines filled with words.
- Include all words you will say in the script
- VoiceTrack requires 3-4 spoken words to accurately scroll. Any given area of screen with fewer than 3-4 words may not scroll.
Text size and orientation guidelines: Use landscape and smaller fonts
- Use landscape mode, which enables more words to appear on the screen and helps improve VoiceTrack accuracy. To use landscape mode, simply rotate your iPad or iPhone as you would with any other app.
- Consider using smaller font sizes – similar to landscape mode, smaller fonts allow more words to appear on the screen and can help with VoiceTrack.
- We have recently increased font sizes, and smaller devices (like the iPhone 5) may not work optimally for the largest font size(s)
Optimal environment guidelines: Use in a quiet place
- Limit ambient noise. For the iPad especially, a lot of extra noise reduces recognition accuracy. Use VoiceTrack™ in a relatively quiet environment. If ambient noise is unavoidable, you may want to consider using an external mic. There are a number of cheap mics ($2-$4) that work very well with the iPad and/or iPhone.
- PromptSmart is compatible with BlueTooth microphones
- Turn off the music. Music shares very similar characteristics to voice and can confuse VoiceTrack – even if it’s in the background.
Make sure VoiceTrack can hear your words: Speak clearly and be mindful of the device’s microphone
- Do not speak during the "loading" period - At this time, VoiceTrack is surveying the ambient noise to filter out as much as possible. If you speak during this period, it will try to suppress your voice as well.
- Enunciate your words and project your voice. If you speak clearly, VoiceTrack will have an easier time deciphering your speech thereby improving recognition. Projecting need not mean speaking loudly: Instead, think of whispering so that someone across the room can hear you.
- The iPad and/or iPhone microphone should be unobstructed and/or facing you. In the case of the iPad, the mic is poorly placed on the back of the device, so ensuring that it is not blocked will help make sure the app is picking up all of the words you're saying. Laying the iPad on a flat surface and removing the cover helps too (avoids muffling the sound).
- Distance to your device will limit recognition as iPhones and iPads are designed to be hand-held. If you need to use PromptSmart at a distance, please use an external microphone. For more information on microphone use, please see our blog post on the subject here.
Enjoy the freedom and convenience of delivering
your speech with digital notecards
We know that many speakers prefer to have key points laid out but not a fully developed text. PromptSmart has developed the Notecard format for this very case. Instead of a scrolling through a complete script, we built a way to easily create digital notecards that you can cycle through as you give your speech.
You can easily download text, divide/delineate into notecards, and set optimum viewing parameters. Even better, notes are easily editable in rich text and can be rearranged to give you maximum flexibility.
PromptSmart gives you the best professional tools at the tips of your fingers so you can speak with ease and confidence.
Praise for PromptSmart
"PromptSmart is an ingenious app for any would-be public speaker." - TheiPhoneAppReview.com